Every homeowner wants to save money in their utility bill and pursue a green lifestyle. The amount of money saved is very often determined by the size of the photovoltaic (PV) system installed. However, the maximum return on investment and payback is determined by the tariff and the time of energy consumption. As part of the government’s green initiative, SEDA implemented the Net Energy Metering (NEM) program at the end of 2016. We have prioritised the FAQ to address your most frequent concerns. If you have further concerns, please visit our Facebook page, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For YOU to size your solar PV system for your house, you will need to know the following:
- the amount of electricity you use daily from your electricity bill (have your latest electricity bill handy).
- available roof space for your installation.
If your bill is less than RM300, and you use most of your electricity in the evening and at night, it is better that you focus on being disciplined to adopt energy-saving habits and using more energy efficient products. Renewable energy is not yet profitable for you at the moment. Your payback will be anything between 6 years to 7.5 years.
If your bill is more than RM500, solar PV is a viable energy solution you should consider. Assuming Tenaga National Berhad (TNB) increases the electricity tariff by an average of about 17% (as they did in 2014), you can expect your payback to be between 4.5 to 6 years, depending on your capital cost and your tariff. So, comparing the previous Feed-in-Tariff (FiT) scheme and current Net Energy Metering (NEM) scheme, NEM is a better option, considering the tariff will be reviewed by Suruhanjaya Tenaga every three years.
AmSolar’s system package
Tier-1 Solar Modules come with 12-year workmanship warranty and 25-year yield warranty (80% yield after 25 years).
Our Inverters come from name brand, tested suppliers. We have over 100 installations throughout Malaysia since 2013.
AmSolar provides lifetime workmanship warranty on all initial work done on site, with WiFi monitoring available on mobile devices
What are the benefits of NEM?
- Energy generated by NEM consumer will be consumed first, which results in less energy imported from the grid.
- Increased self-usage of energy generated from the solar PV system, results in higher savings in electricity bills of NEM consumers.
- Paid back in displaced cost, in return, the consumer’s electricity bill becomes significantly lower.
- Utilising renewable solar energy reduces CO2 emission, minimises your carbon footprint & supports the future of cleaner energy.
Walking with YOU
AmSolar will walk together with you through the steps and numbers involved as follows:
- Look for your energy usage, “Kegunaan” in kWh, in your monthly TNB electricity bill.
- Divide that number by 30 days to approximate the energy, in kWh, used a day.
- Divide that number by 3.75 hrs (effective Peak Sun Hours after accounting for system efficiency).
- Take half of this number, assuming half of your energy usage occurs in the daytime. You will arrive at the estimated solar PV system size required to offset your current energy usage in the daytime.
- Next, estimate your roof size in square meters, m2.
- Multiply your roof size with 160 W/m2 (power rating of an average solar PV panel).
- Compare your result from item (4) and (6), your solar PV system size will be determined either by your energy demand requirement or available roof space.
- Estimate your final system price by multiplying your solar PV system size with between RM6 to RM5 per watt (W). However the final cost will also be subject to logistic costs and the economy of scale.
Energy Storage Solutions
AmSolar’s Home Energy Storage Solution (HESS) is a grid-connected, hybrid system. A battery serves as a backup in case of system failure. Also, to optimise this solution, NEM application is not required. The battery will store the excess solar energy generated daily. There will be savings as no NEM application fee to SEDA and TNB is required.
It is important that we understand your essential back-up requirement. The HESS system, consisting of a solar PV system and battery, will be sized accordingly. Example of such requirements are personal wine cellars, Japanese carp ponds and marine aquariums.
AmSolar’s HESS battery selection is made up of lithium iron phosphate battery (5-year battery warranty, 10-year battery lifespan) or lead carbon battery (5-year battery warranty, 7 to 8-year battery lifespan).